Podcast Episode #51- Define Ministry Series Being a Home for Homeless Hearts-Helping the wounded find Hope, Healing and Family by being the hands and feet of Jesus- With Beverly Powers
Homeless hearts eventually become homeless
Being a Home for Homeless Hearts is the very crux of what motivates my guest for today.
Today I’m chatting with Beverly. Years ago I met Beverly when my husband and I got to serve at a Christmas event her and her husband put on every year for who they like to call “Homeless Hearts” in their community.
This isn’t your average homeless ministry, in fact they don’t even like to call it that. They don’t view people as projects but as God’s little babies who need to feel loved.
Beverly shares with us about the first man who came to them at their business and how God moved in their hearts and expanded their reach! You will be incredibly Blessed by our conversation!
They aren’t projects, they are people
Beverly gives us some great insights to keep in mind that God has shared with her over her years of loving on and being a Home for the Homeless hearts in their community:
- People who are abused believe the lie they aren’t worth loving
- Homeless hearts eventually become homeless-(It’s often much deeper than not having a job or a place to live)
- How can I love others if I don’t believe I’m worth loving? Do you know you are loved fiercely by God?
- Love is the greatest fruit we have to defeat the enemies lies (‘And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.’ I Corinthians 13:13 )
- Love people but still keep boundaries
- God is a seasonal God, it’s important you shift when He puts a new season in place
- We can’t stop for everybody – just pray “God, put someone in front of me that you want me to love”. Find out who He wants you to stop for
- If you find you are a chronic rescuer, you may need to deal with some stuff in you first- There is a difference between sympathy and compassion- Compassion pulls people up-sympathy soothes the wounds-Jesus moved in compassion not sympathy
- Love has to look like something, it’s an action!
- Keep the balance of love and compassion for self and others. You can’t pour from an empty tank
‘He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler And from the perilous pestilence. He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler. You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, Nor of the arrow that flies by day, Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday. A thousand may fall at your side, And ten thousand at your right hand; But it shall not come near you. Only with your eyes shall you look, And see the reward of the wicked. Because you have made the Lord , who is my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place, No evil shall befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways. In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone. You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra, The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot. “Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name. He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him, And show him My salvation.”’Psalms 91
Moving in Compassion
Are you willing to be used by God wherever He calls you, to whomever He calls you too? Do you know where and who He is calling you to serve? Ask Him! Move with compassion according to the passions God has placed on your heart! I hope this moves something in your heart and life and gives you the motivation to take that step and trust God to do the rest!