Episode #70- Spending Quiet time with God– Why is it important?
More Importantly why is it so hard?
A Practical Guide to Spending Quality Time with God in Everyday Life. We are Stepping into a new series today-Quiet Time with God. How you can fit studying your Bible, praying and worshipping outside of a Sunday service into your already busy schedule?
We can have the best intentions but get to the end of a week feeling discouraged at how many times we were actually able to sit at the Lord’s feet. We desire to be a Mary but find ourselves often in Martha’s shoes. Do ya feel me?
The enemy knows the benefits we would get if we carve out the time, he knows we know too. This is why he often distracts us with many “good” things. We also are human and let’s face it, at the end of a long day it can feel better to turn on Netflix rather than open our Bibles.
In this episode I share 10 truths about quiet time with God.
*You might also enjoy my episode and blog Post about Finding Beauty in Dormant Seasons
10 truths about quiet time with God
- IF YOU ARE WAITING FOR FREE TIME TO SUDDENLY POP UP IT PROBABLY WON’T (Read about Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42)
- WHEN YOU SAY YES TO TIME WITH GOD YOU ARE SAYING NO TO SOMETHING OR SOMEONE ELSE
- CONSISTENTLY SPENDING TIME WITH GOD WILL PRODUCE FRUIT IN YOUR LIFE (King David best insights to quiet time Psalm 1:1-3 )
- YOU CAN SPEND TIME WITH GOD ANY TIME OF DAY, AND YOU SHOULD- (Psalm 5:1-3 Psalm 63:1-8)
- SPENDING TIME IN GOD’S WORD AND PRAYER IS HOW WE LEARN TO DISCERN WHAT IS GOOD AND EVIL AND ALSO HOW WE LEARN TO RECOGNIZE HIS VOICE (Isaiah 30:18-21)
- YOU WILL FACE HARD TIMES WETHER YOU SPEND TIME WITH HIM OR NOT YOU DO THE MATH (John 16:33)
- SPENDING TIME WITH GOD WILL LIKELY PRODUCE CONVICTION AND IT’S A GOOD HARD THING (Hebrews 4:11-13)
- THE HOLY SPIRIT REVEALS TRUTH AND UNDERSTANDING TO US AS WE READ HIS WORD
- QUIET TIME CAN INCLUDE READING GOD’S WORD, PRAYING, LISTENING TO AND SINGING WORSHIP MUSIC, ORJUST SITTING QUIET WITH HIM
- QUIET TIME IS NOT EXTRA CREDIT. SEEK HIM FOR THE RIGHT REASONS, YOUR SALVATION AND RELATIONSHIP IS BETWEEN YOU AND HIM (Hebrews 5:11-14 NLT )
First of all God has tons of grace for our frail human condition and beckons us softly. He also meets us in our efforts, even the tiniest bit.
When our motives are right and we truly desire to know Him deeper, we can experience His peace and wisdom.
Listen to Episode 70 then join my guests and I in the coming weeks, of different ages and life stages as they share their perspective and how they are staying close to God’s heart.
My hope is that this practical guide to spending quality time with God in your everyday life will be a breath of fresh air. By the end of the series I hope you will feel a measure of grace and gain some valuable insight on how to incorporate devotionals and quiet time with God into your life. I want you to fall head over heels in love with God’s Word and start reaping the benefits.
See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
Therefore do not be unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is.Ephesians 5:15-17